Friday, 19 August 2011

The Red Bow Top


Yay! A week later than I had expected, but I can finally show you my latest creation! It is a top inspired by Sarah's "Married to the Music" top, made with the sorbetto top pattern, that I made out of an old bedsheet that had ripped the first time I had tried to use it. It was supposed to be for last week's "Peer Review" challenge on the Sew Weekly, but better late than never, right?



Fabric: Bedsheet
Pattern: Sorbetto from Colette patterns
Year: 2011
Notions: Bias tape, made myself
Total cost: $0!!



Things done for the first time:

  • First time making a top
  • First time sewing darts
  • First time using bias tape
  • First time making my own bias tap 

Things I could improve on:
  • Making bias tape
  • Using bias tape!!

I had to redo the bias tape because I cut it too narrow the first time and was having a lot of trouble sewing it on! The second time around it was much easier, but it is definitely not perfect. 



Changes made:  I extended the pleat so it would wrap over and behind the neckline a little, and added a bow to sit underneath the pleat. Also cut the armholes a little larger.
Changes I should have made: Cut a size larger, or maybe extended the length of the straps. The darts sit a little high, and the armholes are still a little tight.


4 comments:

  1. i LOVE this! What a clever idea to add a bow under the pleat--it looks fabulous! And great job on your first top!! It's even better that it was free and it looks so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bow is adorable! You did a beautiful job. Only you will notice the imperfections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEEP! Love this top! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very elegant, love the color, great job!

    ReplyDelete