Saturday, 6 August 2011

Completed Project - Shaped pocket skirt!


This week, I made this skirt! Inspired by the Sew Weekly theme this week - western!

Fabric: Some sort of denim-like dark purple material, thrifted for 60c
Pattern: Waistband from a Handmade magazine pattern, pockets from Casey's shaped pocket tutorial, rest made up!
Year: Waistband pattern was 1988
Notions: Buttons, thrifted for 50c
Total cost: $1.10

You can see the pockets better here:


And here:



Pretty cool, huh? I followed the same scalloped design as Casey used for her skirt, and added some decorative embroidery. It was my first time making something with pockets (or with buttons, for that matter!) so I was pretty happy with how they turned out.

The buttons could definitely have been done better though, and I'm not sure I love the positioning of the pleats. 


When I was making the pleats, I just placed the skirt fabric on top of the waistband and played around until I liked the effect. I forgot to take into account though that I was looking at the pleats from the inside of the skirt, so they came out the opposite way to what I had planned! I decided to just leave them though. Lesson learned. 


Have you been taking part in the Sew Weekly challenges? What are you planning on making for next week?

1 comment:

  1. Beata you did a magic job on your western skirt well done I can't wait to see what you do next week. Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete