Tuesday, 9 August 2011

Project Planning - Red bow sorbetto

Sarah Gabbart's "Married to the Music" Top, Sew Weekly
This week, the Sew Weekly challenge is to create something inspired by a piece from the Sew Weekly archives. Given all the talk of the wonderful sorbetto pattern by Colette patterns that has been going on recently, and the fact that I have never sewn a top before, I thought I would try making something using that pattern. As I was looking through the archives, I was stuck by this top made by Sew Weekly contributor, Sarah Gabbart. It is simple, but stunning, and she used the sorbetto pattern!

At this stage, I'm still planning the elements of my top, but I think I will keep the centre pleat as in the original pattern. One thing I know for sure is that I will add a bow! Or multiple bows!!

Here are some other ideas for bow placement that I like:

Small central bow as in view 3:

Source: Vintage pattern wiki

Or a larger central bow:

Modcloth
Or maybe on the straps:

Ted Baker top
Polyvore
As for the fabric, I have a burgundy bedsheet that tore the first time I tried to put it on my bed :( Probably not the best quality fabric for a top, but I'm happy to consider it a (hopefully) wearable muslin! I hope I will be able to get it done on the weekend, as I won't have any time later this week - I am going to Canberra to watch my fiance and brother complete in a national fencing tournament!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great, looking forward to the finnished top :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - so glad you liked the top! I just stumbled on your blog and I'm so glad I did - love the stuff you make!

    ReplyDelete