Sunday, 4 September 2011

The That 70's Dress



A week late again, but I have finished my project from last week's Sew Weekly challenge, making something inspired by the 70's! I think doing a project every 2 weeks seems to work well with my timetable, so I'm not going to stress about it :) Having said that, I have 4 assignments due over the next 3 weeks, so I think I will be giving next week's challenge a skip, too!




Fabric: Thrifted polyester, ~60c
Pattern: Simplicity 6672, View 2, 20c
Year: 1975
Notions: None
Total cost: ~80c




Things done for the first time:
  • First time making a dress
  • First time adding armhole facings
Things I could improve on:
  • Hemming
  • Tracing patterns
There were a few markings I forgot to transfer over the first time, whoops! But that wasn't too hard to fix. I may end up re-doing the hem - it looks a bit uneven across the front to me, and I didn't really measure it....



Changes made:  Due to fabric restrictions, I made the dress quite short! It is 20cm shorter than even view 1! I also omitted the back zipper (can still get it on easily!) and the buttons on the front.
Changes I should have made: If I had more fabric, I would love to have made it longer, and matched the fabric on the seams too!

Here is me attempting my best 70's style Charlie's Angels hair flip....


...they make it look easy!

Overall I loved this pattern, and I think the fit is great, too! I'm looking forward to making it in some natural fibres for summer, and I would love to try one in the maxi length.

2 comments:

  1. Your dress turned out wonderfully! I have a copy of this pattern, but I hadn't even thought about shortening it, perhaps I might have to do that.

    By the way, I found your blog via Sew Retro, can't wait to see what else you sew. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely! Great length, too!

    ReplyDelete