Tuesday, 4 September 2012

Project Planning - Colette Sewing Handbook - Meringue!

Having bought the Colette Sewing Handbook earlier this year, I have been meaning to get around to sewing from the provided patterns for a long time! I really wish I could have joined in with the Sew Colette sew-along, but I was a bit too busy at the time! But! I think I am getting close to being ready to start! ;)

So, I wanted to share the planning I have been doing. I hope to create a mini-collection from the patterns, and have been scheming about this for weeks! I looked through the fabrics I already had before settling on a colour scheme, so that I can do some stash busting while I'm at it!

Here is what I came up with:




The colours I went for are cornflower blue, black, cream, navy, orange and steel blue.  I want the pieces to be bright and fun, but elegant at the same time. I'd like to share the fabrics I chose, but I am still deciding on a few of them, so they will be revealed one by one as I start each project!

I made inspiration pages for each pattern in the book, too. Since I am starting with the Meringue skirt here is my inspiration page for that pattern:




I love the embellished skirt in the bottom right hand corner of the first page! I'd love to make a Meringue like that one day... In the meantime, the fabric I actually chose? 


Sorry it's so wrinkly!!!

I decided that the Meringues I like best are the ones where the scallops are more than just scallops, they are linked to the fabric in some way - like in the embellished version I pointed out. When I saw this fabric, I thought it would be perfect for this concept! Here's a rough idea of what I'm trying to achieve:


I'm going to cut the scallops based on the print of the fabric. I hope it works out!!

I've also started planning my mini-wardrobe based on the BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook. I've gone for a more colourful summery palette and feel for this one:




I love the planning stage of sewing! In fact, I'm itching to start designing a mini-collection for the patterns in Gertie's new book!!! 

8 comments:

  1. Great inspiration book! Looking forward to your finished skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda, I hope to get started on it really soon!!

      Delete
  2. love your fabric choice! Where'd you find it? I really need to find more places to shop for fabric online…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I believe it is just from Spotlight (like a Jo-Ann's for those in the US I think!), it was in the clearance pile a few months ago. I've yet to buy fabric online, let me know if you find any good online shops!!

      Delete
  3. Your fabric choice is perfect! I love seeing all of your inspiration pieces - it's very well done, and I think gives you great ideas for a sewing plan. I'm excited to see your finished Meringue! I wear mine all the time - it's a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Meg, I can't wait to finish it either!! I wish I could be as productive as you, finding time to sew is always a bit of a struggle!

      Delete
  4. I love the inspiration book! Great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope I get the time to stop dreaming and start sewing soon! :)

      Delete