Sunday, 16 September 2012

Weekend Review & Finished Project - Belle Costume!


I have been a bit absent in the online world recently, and will probably continue to be for a few weeks yet! Unfortunately my reason for this isn't as exciting as Casey's - I just have a thesis due soon, plus a whole bunch of other assignments/tests/other uni stuff to work on...

Meanwhile, my sewing plans were put on hold this week, when I realised I had a fancy dress ball to go to on Saturday night, and no costume!! The theme was animated characters, so, obviously, I went for a Disney princess! Belle has colouring closest to mine, but I have never been a fan of her yellow ballgown, so I decided I'd wear her blue day dress:


Screenshot from YouTube


I bought some old bed sheets and managed to whip myself up a dress and an apron over a few nights. Towards the end, there were many short cuts taken, but it turned up all right if I do say so myself!! I had planned on making a blouse as well, but luckily I found one I already had that did the job. I was running late, so I only managed to take a few pictures beforehand. There might be a few more of me taken by others floating around, I'll see if I can find any :)


I was literally the Belle of the ball ;)

And here is what you need to know:



Fabric: 2 second hand bed sheets (~$1)
Pattern: Dress pattern 8736 from March 1956 Australian Home Journal. No pattern for apron.
Features: The dress has back, waist and bust darts, a round neckline, a gathered skirt and a side zip. The apron is simply a gathered piece on a waistband.
Alterations: The dress pattern was for a 36" bust. I cut it out without adding seam allowances, but added around an inch to the bodice, and cut the straps super long, so I could adjust them before sewing to the right length. I sewed the straps together instead of making the button closure. I ended up taking in the side seams about 2 inches at the bust, tapering to an inch at the waist.
Notions: 1 zipper (~10c)
Total price: ~$1.10


If everyday clothing is cake, and special occasion dresses are frosting, I wonder if sewing a costume is like sprinkles?? Hehe.

Which leads me on to a few links I'd like to share:


See you next time!

6 comments:

  1. Really cute! What a great costume!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a FABULOUS costume!! You look just like Belle - I loved her in this much more than the yellow dress, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your costume looks fabulous! I thought I was smart by making an apron pattern and a blouse into a witch's costume but you take the cake!Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was so happy it wasn't a disaster at the last minute!!

      Delete