Monday, 4 February 2013

Finished Object - The "Blueberry Meringue" Skirt!



Yay, I have completed my first project from the Colette Sewing Handbook! I posted a plan to make this skirt back in September of last year, but I will make no excuses. I am a busy person and I don't get the chance to sew as often as I would like, and that is that! 


Here is what you need to know:

Fabric: Blue and white polka dot cotton poplin from Spotlight ($3) and unknown white fabric from op-shop
Pattern: Meringue skirt from the Colette Sewing Handbook
Features: Scalloped hem, invisible zipper, lining and pretty blue bias tape on the lining hem
Alterations: I adjusted the scalloped hem to suit the scale of my fabric, and this also meant taking out a bit of width at the hem to avoid a half-scallop at the side-seam! I could have added width instead, but I wanted a straighter silhouette. I also added a free hanging lining. I cut a size 8, then ended up doing a smaller seam allowance at the waist as it didn't look like it was going to fit!! It is still tight through the hips, maybe next time I would cut a size 10...
Notions: 9" white invisible zipper and bias-tape for the lining hem (~$2)
Total price: ~$5.00



There are a 3 main things I would like to improve: the fit, the zip and the scallops. There are horizontal wrinkles across the front, and it tends to ride up, so I think it's a bit small around the hips. I'm also unsure about the darts, particularly at the front, I feel like they don't help the wrinkle situation.The next garment I plan to make is the pastille, so I think I will really concentrate on getting a good fit with that one, but anything I can learn from this skirt would probably be quite helpful! Any comments to help with this are appreciated :)



The invisible zipper isn't perfect. It's not quite invisible, and it bubbles at the bottom. I need more practice I think!! Also, the scallops. There is quite a bit of puckering around that area! I pressed them carefully, but I should have taken more care in sewing them, not to make the points too pointy! Pointy points when sewing become puckers when turned inside out :(



There are some things I'm happy with, too! I like that my original idea came together, and it doesn't look ridiculous! In fact, I think it looks quite cute!



I also am quite happy with the lining, and the blue tape I finished the lining hem with :)



So, overall thought? I like the shape of the skirt, so I may try it again without the scalloped bottom in a plainer fabric. Realistically, I probably won't wear it much. I like the way it looks in the photos, but it really isn't "me" in real life!!



I did have fun taking the photos though :)

13 comments:

  1. From my vantage point the skirt looks perfect! I love the fabric and the little scallops are just the perfect touch. Hope your studies are going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhonda! I guess we are always our own worst critics, aren't we? :) Study is going well! I finished my last exams for my Bachelors degrees last year, so I have started full time work for the first time, and last week started studying for my Masters degree! Keeping busy :)

      Delete
  2. I just love your version of the skirt! I love how the scallops mimick the circle shapes!! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debi! You reminded me, I was going to have a dig through my collection of Australian Home Journal magazines to see if I have any from 1940, it would be interesting to see how the Australian fashion compared to the McCall designs you are sewing!

      Delete
  3. Oh. My. Goodness. This might be my favorite version of the Meringue ever, simply because the fabric is positively perfect! The lining looks marvelous, and I really can't see any horizontal wrinkles from the photos. My denim Meringue was a bit tight around the hips, too - so I've let it out a bit since. Now it's a wardrobe staple of mine :) I love your Meringue - well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Meg!! I've had the idea to use this fabric for AGES, so I'm glad I finally got it together! I think the wrinkles are more obvious in real life, when I've been moving around, but maybe I'm just being fussy! :)

      Delete
  4. This is so cute! I love how you followed the bottoms of the circles in the fabric to create the scallops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GAH! This is too cute for words! Great alterations to take full advantage of the epic blueberries. Such lovely lining as well. Epic win in my books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely brilliant use of that fabric/print for the scallops. I don't see any of the mistakes that you mentioned. It looks perfect. Really cute. Your photos are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet-I like how you've used the circles for the hem-I've got a half finished dress where I did that with triangles-except they were tiny and I got bored and stopped XD This reminds me to go back to it and get it done. Cheers.

    Edit:Please get rid of the recaptchas..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! You should finish it, sounds like it would look really cool!!

      Oops, I didn't realise that was on! Hopefully it's fixed now :)

      Delete
  8. Excellent post however I was wondering if you could write a litte
    more on this topic? I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit further. Appreciate it!

    Also visit my web-site :: laser cellulite treatment

    ReplyDelete