Wednesday, 13 January 2016

Project planning

Let's pretend it hasn't been three years (THREE YEARS!!!) since my last post, and get straight into it!


I started 2016 on a sewing high and am super keen to be a bit more productive in terms of sewing this year. I made a list of a few garments that I would like to make, and I have actually almost finished one already! (My Saltspring dress just needs to be hemmed, and will hopefully be making a blog debut soon! And pssst....it might be my favourite make yet :D).

First on my list was the Saltspring dress from Sewaholic, and as I said, it is almost done! I had a lovely tulip print voile that I used for it from Spotlight, and I am in love with the final dress.... but I'll tell you all about it shortly!

http://www.sewaholicpatterns.com/saltspring-dress-pdf-sewing-pattern/

Next on my to-do list is the Belcarra blouse, also from Sewaholic! Being pear-shaped, I've had good luck with Sewaholic patterns so far. I've started putting the pattern together for this project already (I bought the downloadable pattern) but I am still undecided about fabric. I had a synthetic white crepe in mind, but now I'm thinking natural fibres might be the way to go....

http://www.sewaholicpatterns.com/belcarra-blouse-pdf-sewing-pattern/
After that, my order may change, but my current plans involve making the Seamwork Adelaide dress in a black and cream floral fabric of unknown composition, but that feels like rayon. Maybe with pearl snap fasteners...

https://www.seamwork.com/catalog/adelaide

Another Seamwork pattern on my list is the Akita blouse. Again I'm undecided on fabric, but maybe something maroon and drapey.

https://www.seamwork.com/catalog/akita

The Gabriola skirt by Sewaholic has been on my to-sew list for ages, so I hope I will get around to it this year! I bought a navy cotton fabric that I had intended to use, but I'm starting to worry it'll be too lightweight and wrinkly. I'll have to think about it!

http://www.sewaholicpatterns.com/gabriola-skirt-pdf-sewing-pattern/

The Colette Chantilly is also on my list. I have a border print floral in mind for this one, bright and summery! I haven't had the best of luck with Colette patterns before, fit-wise, so it may require some muslin-ing.

https://www.colettepatterns.com/catalog/chantilly

Last but not least, the Cloth Habit Watson bra and briefs! I actually atrempted the briefs some time ago but they ended up very large... it may have been a matter of choosing the incorrect size, along with fabric choice and possibly the elastic stretching out... I have an issue with my sewing machine not being able to do a narrow zigzag, so I sewed all the elastic with a wide zigzag, and I'm worried that might have contributed to the elastic fatigue. But I think I can save them by simply bringing in the side seams a couple inches! And I'm excited to attempt my first bra!

http://shop.clothhabit.com/products/watson-bra-bikini
In other news, along with the zigzag issue mentioned above, my sewing machine seems to  be on it;s last legs... I took it to a repairman who said one of the plastic cams is broken, which would cost quite a lot to replace, so I'm thinking I may need to invest in a new one. I'm excited to go have a look at some this weekend! 

And just in case you were wondering, my sewing machine has not been idle during my three year hiatus from blogging... I have a number of unblogged projects to share, so look out for those in the coming weeks too!

No comments:

Post a Comment