Thursday, 20 October 2016

The So-So Sorbetto




This is not my first Sorbetto, and not my worst Sorbetto, but still a so-so one in my books, mainly due to fabric choice and fit. However, it was the first of my foray into making more work tops, and has been worn to work, which makes it a success in my book!


It is, of course, made with the free Colette Sorbetto pattern that has been quite popular on the blogosphere for some time now. I made it in a berry coloured cotton of some sort from Spotlight, choosing to put the bias binding on the outside as a trim.

The details:
Fabric: Berry coloured cotton 
Pattern: Colette Sorbetto 
Size: 6
Special touches and alterations: Bias binding as a trim. Lengthened the bodice and lowered the darts slightly



My first sorbetto I made way back in 2011, the Red Bow Top. My notes to myself at the time were to "[c]ut a size larger, or maybe extend the length of the straps. The darts sit a little high, and the armholes are still a little tight." I did that with this verision, cutting a size larger through the shoulders, extending the length and lowering the darts. I think the fit is generally improved, but it bunches weirdly across the front at times, especially under a blazer.


Or that might be a result of the fabric being too crisp and not drapey enough. One thing is for sure, this fabric wrinkles like crazy, and I tend to avoid wearing this top as I don't want to go through the pain of ironing it!!


Having said that, I think it was the first me-made item that I have worn to work, and it is in my regular rotation of work tops. It is nice tucked into a pencil skirt. So I guess it is a success :) Now that I have improved the fit, I look forward to making another sorbetto in a drapier fabric that doesn't drive me crazy!



No comments:

Post a Comment